YAYAism

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Land Locked

It's been so cool the last couple a days. I feel winter creeping in. I guess we're getting residual effects of the hurricane. I more or less grew up on the gulf coast in Corpus Christie. I miss the beach. The sand, the salt and the surf are a part of me. Like some people are part of the mountains or the woods, I am of the sea.

There are a lot of lakes around Dallas/Ft. Worth. DFW is actually part of the Texas Lakes Trail. Even though I'm less than an hour away from water (in any direction), it's not the same as being able to stand on the beach and look across time itself and feel it lapping around your ankles. At least that's kind of the way it is to me. It's very humbling, standing on the edge of forever.

I rode out two hurricanes while we lived in Corpus. People around here have no clue as to how terrible they can be. They think tornados are the bad? Hurricanes breed tornados. During one of the hurricanes my family went through, at one time there were 5+ tornados blowing around the downtown area (about a mile from where we were) all at the same time. I remember people drowning AFTER the storm had passed. The floodwaters were so high, people were getting caught up in the debris and dying. My uncle's boat was blown up unto shore about a 1/4 mile away from where he had it anchored. I guess that's one good thing about being land locked, no hurricanes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home