YAYAism

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Meeting My Match

Last nights show went really well. Once again, this weeks crowd was slightly larger than the previous show. I had a bigger crowd this week, in spite of having there were several absent regulars.

Every week I see a couple of new names on my sign-up list. This week, I met two guys from Sherman named Brian and Cheston. Brian has his own show going in Sherman on Wednesday and Friday nights. Since he had the night off, he and his friend (Cheston) decided to come check out the Dove. Cheston was a pretty good singer, but Brian bordered onto awesome! I've only come across a handful of guys that I would classify as better than Brian.

Most of the songs we sang last night were "showcase" songs for us both. When you put two good singers together, there is always a little bit of rivalry. Showcasing is our way of establishes a karaoke pecking order. In this case, it was me. Considering that it was my show, on my turf, it wasn't much of a battle. Brian being the visiting KJ, was well behaved. He showed that he could belt it out, without having a prima donna attitude.

Brian was a great guest, and talent wise, we're fairly evenly matched. At the end of the night we were discussing duets that we might sing. Next week, I'm going to try to visit his Wednesday show. I was hoping he'd come to my show next week but he doesn't think his wife will let him. She was pretty ticked off at him for staying out so late. I did promise to learn "Close My Eyes Forever"(Lita Ford/Ozzy Osbourne) so that we can try it next time we meet up. I challenged Cheston to learn "Unforgettable" (Nat King Cole/Natalie Cole). I think it will be a lot fun getting into karaoke duels with someone that really knows the ropes!


Betty and I went to Brian's show last night. Not good. He doesn't have a very good system, and his stage presence needs work. He had talked himself up a lot, so I was really disappointed that he had such a lousy show.

2 Comments:

  • you oughta try and find a way to video tape one of your shows - for those of us who have no idea what a karaoke show is like

    By Blogger twopeanuts, at 7:47 AM  

  • I don't know about video but I could maybe take some snapshots and send them by snail. Mayhaps even a cassette if I can find a place to buy blanks. I found and old recorded in some stuff I had stored. If it still works, I could make a tape while I'm doing the show. With the snaps and the tape, you could get a pretty good idea of how a typical show goes. ;)

    By Blogger YAYA, at 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home