YAYAism

Monday, May 10, 2004

Mother's Day weekend

The weekend was almost as low-key as I had intended. The Friday night show I was asked to work, ended up be cancelled by the jerk that owns the bar, leaving me free to hang out for awhile at one of the other shows. I sang a couple of songs then headed home to get a head start on sleeping in! Saturday morning Joey (short for JoAnn) called around 9:30 to see if I wanted to go see the 10AM showing of Van Helsing with her...uh...YEA! It's amazing how quickly I can get out the door, when the proper motivation is supplied!
The movie was great. I'm not real big on blood and guts as a substitute for plot, so I really appreciated the LOW GORE factor. There are some good 'jump in your seat' moments and awesome images. As a whole, I consider it well worth watching. In fact, I plan on taking Mom to see it this coming weekend. It's not often that a preview gets her interested enough to actually go to the movies, however, she said a couple of times that she'd like to see Van Helsing. I'll enjoying watching it again and catching anything I may have missed the first time around.
After the movie, we went back to JoAnn's house and hung out with her mom for awhile. Her mom is really a nice lady (the old school type that feeds everyone that comes in). I ended up watching Star:Nemesis before finally heading over to Steph's house. I had to drop off the little gifts I had bought for the Mom's Day brunch. When I got there, all the kids were out in the front yard trying to build a clubhouse from cardboard boxes. FUN! Of course we being the cool aunt that I am, could help but join in the building effort. Alas, even after using over half a roll of packaging tape, our clubhouse just didn't work out. I think it had a lot to do with the wind that kept blowing it over. We finally decided to give up and play volleyball instead. Before too long, my sister and a couple of the neighbors had joined in. Steph and I played on opposing teams which made for some REALLY interesting team rivalry. The game got quite a boost when we traded the volley ball in for beach ball that measured about two and a half feet across! The sucker was so big, it nearly took out the net more than a few times!
Sunday of course was Mother's Day and we had the 3rd annual Mother's Dat brunch. It went quite well. All of the mom's won several gifts during the various games and I even got a couple of things. (My family celebrates Aunt's Day along with Mother's Day.)
In my book, the highlight of the day was the volleyball re-match that ended up being a kids (11 and under) vs. adults (28 and up) game. Thankfully, the kids gave out before we did! All in all it was a pretty good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home