YAYAism

Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Radio Ga-Ga

This morning my local radio station was interviewing a woman named Alison James. They were talking about her book "I Used to Miss Him...But My Aim is Improving." The basic premise behind the book is that after a break-up, it's okay to be angry. Alison even takes it a bit further and says it okay to retaliate IN MODERATION. I whole-heartedly agree. When they opened up the phones for questions, I couldn't resist calling in and showing my support. On my first try, I got in! I expressed my total agreement and related my own story.

When a boyfriend of mine broke up with me in early February (a couple of years ago) I got a nice little stab at him that Valentine's Day. That year I made up Valentine's Day cards for nearly everyone I knew. At the club where we all hung out, I made a HUGE production of giving out the cards as well as "Hugs and Kisses" (candy). I watched my ex standing by waiting for his turn. When I came across the card intended for him, I casually crumpled it up and stuffed it into my purse and announced that I was finished delivering Valentines. It really did my broken heart good to see the hurt look on his face when he realized he'd been left out.

I guess my brief re-cap of that episode really illustrated the principle behind Ms.James' book because, I ended being the only caller put on the air. Not only was I on the air during the entire final segment of her interview, but also, the radio station is giving be a copy of her book. How cool is that?!

I'm not advocating taking a baseball bat to his car or throwing a brick through his window, but I'm all for harmless, though mildly humiliating, acts. Throwing darts at said ex's picture can be highly therapeutic. Taping a picture of your ex to the bottom of your shoe, then "walking" on him/her all day, can add a spring to your step (so I'm told...I haven't tried this one...yet). The point is to take an active role in dealing with those feelings of anger rather than bottling them up. Finding little ways to release your anger can be equivocated to gradually releasing the steam from a pressure cooker. By slowing letting it go a little at a time, you greatly reduce the chance of injury to yourself and/or others.


I'm still working on the re-cap of this past weekend. There was/is some really HEAVY stuff going on that I'm still trying to deal with. Also, stay tuned for a STALKER STATUS REPORT!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home