YAYAism

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Still making the grade.

Kelly called last night to tell me that, even though I'm no longer in school, I'm still making the grade. Kelly recently went back to school and one of the classes she is taking requires that she bring in five poems. One had to be an original from the student and the other four could be from any author of their choosing. Having been one of my best friends for SEVERAL years now, Kel knows that I write poetry and has even read a few over the years. (only a few because I keep most of my work stashed...locked safely away for the GP)

Anyway, I sent two poems for Kelly to choose from and she ended up taking both. Last night, she presented the poem "Time" (see the "I'm just getting warmed up" post)to her public speaking class, and it got an "A". Can you tell that I am somewhat pleased? "Time" was the second of the two poems to be presented and received a great response as did the first.

I'm still a bit disbelieving. I never thought that the general population (GP) would care anything for my work. Now I'm wondering if I can actually do something with my poetry, other than hide it. All sorts of ideas, like open mic readings and maybe even publishing a book of poetry, are floating through my little head right now! For the first time in a very long time, I'm actually excited by the possibilities before me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home