YAYAism

Friday, October 01, 2004

Vette Story

Earlier this week, I had a recollection that made me stop and think about how our lives wrap around upon themselves time and time again. There are themes that present themselves to us, if we take the time to look.

I have been in love with Corvettes since childhood. I have counted them, read about them, fawned over them, been scolded over them and collected (toy versions) them. Over the years, I accumulated a nice little collection of ‘Vette stuff, which included about 10 Matchbox/Hot Wheels Corvettes.


When my first nephew came along, I introduced him to the beauty of the Corvette. I was forever pointing them out to him as we were out and about. It wasn't long before he too became a fan. At the tender age of 2 , he confiscated my entire collection of Matchbox/Hot Wheels “Cor-Bettes”. I let him have them. After all, toys are made to be played with.

Several years have since passed, and my Corvette collection was long forgotten until a few months ago. My nephew is now 8 years old, and quite a handful. While I was babysitting him and his younger brother, a crisis erupted when his almost brand new (second pair in 6 months) glasses, disappeared. We frantically searched the house looking for his AWOL spectacles. For over and hour, we dumped out toy boxes, tore apart beds and moved furniture. At last, I found them behind the dresser in his bedroom.

We were all relieved to have found them. None of us wanted to face the anger of his mother! In appreciation for my finding his glasses, my nephew sorted through all of his cars and pulled out every Corvette. As my reward for diverting the wrath of MOM, he was going to give me his ENTIRE Corvette collection. I nearly cried. Half of the cars laid out in front of me, were some of the very same cars he has claimed years before. I explained to him how special the cars were and took two of the dozen or so cars he had offered. He even argued that I should take them all. I chose one of my original cars and one of the cars he had acquired through other means.

I recalled all of these events and marveled to myself. As I mentioned before, themes crop up on our lives from time to time. That evening as I pulled into the parking lot of a local club I frequent, I parked in my usual spot. The kicker is that on that night, there was a Corvette parked right next to me. It's funny life tends to wrap around itself.

Angela A. Ochoa
September 28, 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home